Plan Review FAQ


How many sets of plans will I need to submit to the City for plan review? 
Depending on the type of project, you will need to submit 3 or more sets of plans, 2 sets of structural calculations, 2 sets of energy calculations. By submitting multiple sets, we are able to route a copy of your plans to various Departments so that their plan review is done concurrently. This helps to keep the plan review time as short as possible. Plan review fees must be paid at the time of submittal. To determine how many sets of plans your project requires please contact the Building and Safety Department at 323-887-1497. 


What are the wind, rain, seismic and other design factors used in the City of Montebello? 

The following design factors are utilized in the City of Montebello:

Wind 70 MPH (usually exposure B)
Rain 2 inches per hour
Snow load None
Climate Zone Zone 9
Soil Types Check with your geotechnical engineer or soils report.

What building codes are currently in effect in the City of  Montebello? 

State law requires that all cities and counties in California enforce the building codes as mandated by the California Building Standards Commission. The City of Montebello has adopted by ordinance the following model codes:

  • 2007 California Building Code-based on 2006 International Building Code
  • 2007 California Mechanical Code-based on the 2006 Uniform Mechanical Code
  • 2007 California Plumbing Code- based on the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code
  • 2005 National Electrical Code
  • 2006 International Residential Building Code
  • 2005 Title 24 Energy Standards

Who can draw up a set of building plans? 
Plans for simple projects such as small single story houses, room additions and garages can usually by drawn up by qualified individuals such as draftsmen. Assuming that these simple projects are constructed within the parameters of the Residential Conventional Construction Requirements, engineering calculations to support the design will not be required. Other projects may require plans prepared and signed by a licensed architect or engineer. Plans for new commercial buildings, apartments or hotel/motel buildings and changes in the use of existing buildings which cause a change of Occupancy Group generally must be prepared, stamped and signed by an Architect or Engineer licensed to practice in the State of California.For projects such as routine typical retaining Walls, block walls, and patio covers, the Building and Safety Division has handouts that include drawings and specifications that can be followed. Those handouts, together with a plot plan showing your project, are accepted as your plans for the project. 

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!

Sign in to your account