Business FAQ


Can I get a grocery cart picked up? 
For shopping cart pick up, please call 323-887-1460 


Do I need a fire inspection for my business? 
Yes, all applicants applying for a business license certificate and occupancy permit must contact the Fire Department for an inspection.  Please call Fire Department at 323-887-4510 to schedule your next fire inspection. 


Do I need a license to work from home? 
Yes, you will need to fill out a Business License Application and Home Occupancy Permit.  For more information please call out Business Licensing Division at 323-887-1448. 


Do I need a permit for a yard/garage sale? 
No, you do not need a permit for yard/garage sale; however, you could only have the yard/garage sales four times a year. For specific dates please call Building Department at 323-887-1497 


Do I need a permit to film in the city? 
Yes, you need to fill out a business license application for filming permit.  There’s a film permit fee plus fees charged for actual costs incurred by the city staff.  For more information please call Business License Division at 323-887-1448 


How do I find out about bidding for city contracts? 
Contact the City Clerk’s Office for available city bid projects at 323-887-1437 


How do I transfer my business to a new owner? 
Business Licenses are not transferable between owners.  You will need to apply for a new business license certificate and occupancy permit.  For more information please call Business License Division at 323-887-1448. 


How much does a business license or permit cost? 
With a few exceptions of flat fees, most Montebello business license tax is computed based on gross receipts.  For rates associated with your specific business license clarification, please contact Business License Division at 323-887-1448 


I want to buy city surplus goods. 
For information on city surplus good, please contact the Purchasing Division at 323-887-1450 


I want to hold an outdoor / open-air event... do I need a permit? 
Yes, all outdoor events or tent sales require the approval of a Temporary Use Permit (TUP).  To obtain a TUP please contact the Code Enforcement Division at 323-887-1490. 


I want to sell goods or services at an event in the city. 
The City of Montebello sponsors’ events throughout the year, to find out which department is coordinating the event or get specific dates, please contact Municipal Services Department at 323-887-4540 of Economical Development Department at 323-887-1390. 


What are my responsibilities for the sidewalk outside my business? 
For sidewalk sales a TUP needs to be filled out and approved by the Code Enforcement Division.  For more information call Code Enforcement at 323-887-1490 


What is a conditional use permit? 
The purpose of the conditional use permit (CUP) is to allow proper integration of uses into the community which may only be suitable in specific locations, or only if such uses are designed or constructed in a particular manner on the site, and under certain conditions. 


What is a certificate of occupancy permit? 
Certificate of Occupancy is an approval from the City of Montebello’s Building Department stating that the building or tenant space is suitable to be occupied by the incoming tenant.  The City must check to see if the use of the building will conform to the Building & Zoning Codes. 


What licenses do I need to start a business. 
Please see Starting a Business section on our site for detailed information or you may call the Business License Division at 323-887-1448 

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!

Sign in to your account